Mayur Desai, PhD, MPH, FACE
- Associate Professor of Epidemiology (Chronic Diseases)
- Director, Advanced Professional MPH Program
- Core Faculty, National Clinician Scholars Program
- improving the quality and outcomes of medical care in complex and vulnerable populations, including persons with mental disorders, veterans, immigrants, and the elderly; and
- workforce issues in public health and medicine.
Professor Desai directs Yale's Advanced Professional MPH Program and teaches courses on epidemiologic research methods and data analysis. His research interests focus on: (1) improving the quality and outcomes of medical care in complex and vulnerable populations, including persons with mental disorders, veterans, immigrants, and the elderly; and (2) workforce issues in public health and medicine. Professor Desai’s interests also include global health, cardiovascular disease, and psychosocial epidemiology.
Specialized Terms: Epidemiologic Methods; Health Services Research; Mental Disorders; Cardiovascular Disease; Global Health
- PhD, Yale University, 1997
- MPH, Yale School of Public Health, 1994
- BS, University of California, San Diego, 1992
- Spatz ES, Ross JS, Desai MM, Canavan ME, Krumholz HM. Beyond insurance coverage: Usual source of care in the treatment of hypertension and hypercholesterolemia. Data from the 2003-2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. American Heart Journal 2010;160:115-121.
- Choi P, Kavasery R, Desai MM, Govindasamy S, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Prevalence and correlates of community re-entry challenges faced by HIV-infected male prisoners in Malaysia. International Journal of STD & AIDS 2010;21:416-423.
- Montgomery MA, Desai MM, Elimelech M. Assessment of latrine use and quality and association with risk of trachoma in rural Tanzania. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2010;104:283-289.
- Nunez-Smith M, Pilgrim N, Wynia M, Desai MM, Jones BA, Bright C, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH. Race/ethnicity and workplace discrimination: Results of a national survey of physicians. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2009;24:1198-1204.
- Desai MM, Stauffer BD, Feringa HH, Schreiner GC. Statistical models and patient predictors of readmission for acute myocardial infarction: A systematic review. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes 2009;2:500-507.
- Spatz ES, Canavan ME, Desai MM. From here to JUPITER: Identifying new patients for statin therapy using data from the 1999-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes 2009;2:41-48.
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Desai RA. Prevalence and correlates of human immunodeficiency virus testing and posttest counseling among outpatients with serious mental illness. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 2007;195:776-780.
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Craig TJ. Case-finding for depression among medical outpatients in the Veterans Health Administration. Medical Care 2006;44:175-181.
- MHA Program
Core Faculty in the Master of Hospital and Healthcare Administration (MHA) Program at Jimma University and Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia. The MHA program is a collaborative effort between Yale School of Public Health and two of Ethiopia's leading universities. The students in the MHA degree program are chief executive officers (CEOs) of public-sector hospitals in Ethiopia they come from a broad range of clinical and non-clinical backgrounds. As part of the curriculum, students are required to take courses in introductory biostatistics, epidemiology, and research methods, and to complete a master's thesis or capstone project. I played a key role in developing curricula in these areas. In addition, since June 2008, I have traveled to Ethiopia nine times to teach specially designed, "executive-style" short courses in biostatistics, epidemiology, and research methods to conduct review sessions for biostatistics and epidemiology and to provide individual thesis mentoring.
- HHS Secretary's Award for Distinguished Service
- Distinguished Teaching Award (http://medicine.yale.edu/ysph/news/news/2009/teacher.aspx)
- South Asian Studies Council, The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale
- Section Councilor (Mental Health Section), American Public Health Association(2005 - 2008)
- Residency Advisory Committee, Griffin Hospital Combined Internal Medicine/Preventive Medicine Residency Program
- Residency Advisory Committee, Yale Occupational and Environmental Medicine Program
- YSPH Education Committee
- YSPH Admissions Committee
- Rustgi Fellowship Committee, South Asian Studies Council
- Governing Councilor, American Public Health Association(2008 - 2011)
- Education Committee, American College of Epidemiology(2012 - 2015)