Louise-Marie Dembry, MD, FACP, MS, MBA
- Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases) and of Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)
- Director, Hospital Epidemiology VA CT Healthcare System
Dr. Dembry's research interests are in healthcare epidemiology, namely the prevention and control of healthcare associated infections, antimicrobial resistant organisms and patient safety. Other interests include preparedness for high consequence infections (e.g., pandemic influenza), with a particular emphasis on 1) effective methods for training and educating clinicians, 2) healthcare facility and public health coordination and 3) surveillance methodologies.
Specialized Terms: Hospital epidemiology; Prevention and control of healthcare associated infections and antimicrobial resistant organisms; Molecular typing techniques in study of prevention and control of healthcare associated infections; Antimicrobial resistant organisms
- MBA, University of New Haven, 2008
- MD, Wayne State University, 1986
- MS, Wayne State University, 1981
- Comer A, Harris AD, Shardell M, Braun B, Belton BM, Wolfsthal SD, Dembry LM, et al. Web Based Training Improves Knowledge about Central Line Bloodstream Infections. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 2011;32:1219-1222.
- Henderson DK, Dembry L, Fishman NO, Grady C, Lundstrom T, Palmore TN, Sepkowitz KA, Weber DJ. SHEA Guideline for Management of Healthcare Workers Who are Infected with Hepatitis B Virus, Hepatitis C Virus, and/or Human Immunodeficiency Virus. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 2010;31:203-232.
- Hartwig KA, Burich D, Cannon C, Massari L, Mueller L, Dembry LM. Critical Challenges Ahead in Bioterrorism Preparedness Training for Clinicians. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine. 2009;24:39-45.
- Dembry LM, Torres-Viera C. Strategies for Infection Control in Hospitals to Prevent the Spread of Infectious Diseases. European Infectious Disease. 2008, Volume 2, Issue 1, 122-124.
- Sharek PJ, Mullican C, Lavanderos A, Palmer C, Snow V, Kmetik K, Antman M, Knutson D, Dembry LM. Successful and Unsuccessful Interventions to Overcome Barriers to Best Practice Implementation in Quality Improvement Partnerships: Lessons Learned from the Partnerships for Quality Grant Program. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. 2007;33(1):16-26.
- Gupta K, MacIntyre A, Vanasse G, Dembry LM. Trends in B-lactam Prescribing for Community-Associated Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Infections at an Academic Hospital. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 2007;45(12):3930-3934.
- Pashman J, Bradley EH, Wang H, Higa B, Fu M, Dembry LM. Promotion of Hand Hygiene Techniques through Use of a Surveillance Tool. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2007;66:249-254.
- Bizzarro MJ, Dembry LM, Baltimore RS, Gallagher PG. A Matched, Case-Control Analysis of Polymicrobial Bloodstream Infection in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 2008;29:914-920.
- Backman L, Nobert G, Melchreit R, Fekieta R, Dembry LM. Validation of the Surveillance and Reporting of Central Line Associated Bloodstream Infection Denominator Data. American Journal of Infection Control. 2014;42:28-33.
- Harris AD, Pineles L, Belton B, Kristie Johnson, Shardell, Loeb M, Newhouse R, Dembry L, et al. Universal Glove and Gown Use and Acquisition of Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria in the ICU: A Randomized Trial. JAMA 2013;310(15):1571-1580.
- Nelson MU, Bizzarro MJ, Baltimore RS, Dembry LM, Gallagher PG. Clinical and Molecular Epidemiology of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in the Decade Following Implementation of an Active Detection and Isolation Program. Journal of Microbiology, 2015.
- Chang GY, Dembry LM, Banach DB. American Journal of Infection Control. 2016;44(11):1408-1410
- Teaching healthcare epidemiology
Jimma, Ethiopia (2008-2008)
Jimma University, Jimma University
- Infection Control Policies and Practices in China
These professors are conducting a policy analysis to understand how guidelines for infection control differ in China, followed by an empirical study to assess current infection control practices in the hospital setting, and we are developing a set of recommendations for enhancing existing infection control policies and practices in these areas.
- SARS Infection Prevention
Toronto, Canada (2003-2003)
- 50 Experts Leading the Field of Patient Safety
- Charles G. Huntington III Award
- Councilor, Division LAmerican Society of Microbiology(2005 - 2009)
- SHEA Board of Directors; TreasurerSociety for Healthcare Epidemiology of America(2010 - 2012)
- Vice President (2014), President Elect (2015), President (2016), Past President (2017)Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America
- Chair, Education and Research FoundationSociety for Healthcare Epidemiology of America
- Reportable Diseases Advisory CommitteeCT Department of Public Health
- Council of Partners, Partnerships for Quality (Chair, Subcommittee on Implementation Strategies, 11/2003-9/2006)Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research(2003 - 2006)
- Publications Committee (Chair, 2007-2010)Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America(2006 - 2013)
- Committee on Healthcare Acquired Infections (voting member)CT Department of Public Health
- National Advisory Council for Healthcare Research and QualityAgency for Healthcare Quality and Research(2010 - 2012)
- Clinical Advisory Panel on Healthcare Associated ConditionsAmerican Hospital Association(2011 - 2011)
- IDWeek Planning CommitteeIDWeek(2014 - 2016)