Lisa Walke, MD
- Associate Professor of Medicine (Geriatrics)
- Associate Chief for Clinical Affairs (Geriatrics)
Dr. Walke is the Associate Chief for Clinical Affairs for the Section of Geriatrics; in this capacity she oversees all of the clinical programs for the section across both campuses and throughout the community. Dr. Walke is a graduate of the Yale Fellowship in Geriatric Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology. She has been the recipient of the John A. Hartford/American Federation for Aging Research Academic Geriatric Fellowship, the Merck/American Geriatrics Society New Investigator Award, a R01 Diversity Supplement, the Hartford Geriatrics Health Outcomes Research Award, and the Practice Change Leaders for Aging and Health Award.
Dr. Walke is the founder and faculty advisor for the Geriatrics Student Interest Group; the site director for the AFAR directed Medical Student Training in Aging Research program which funds medical students who conduct aging research during the summer; and the founder and course director for the Practice Based Learning Exchange, an international experience that teaches Yale medical students about the healthcare system of the Dominican Republic.
In addition, Dr. Walke is the Project Director for the HRSA funded Connecticut Older Adult Collaboration for Health (COACH) program which is a collaboration among Yale School of Medicine, Yale School of Nursing, Gateway Community College, Cornell Scott-Hill Health Center, Fair Haven Community Health Center, Yale New Haven Health System and VA Connecticut. The objectives of COACH include building a diverse, multidisciplinary geriatric workforce that is equipped to address the unique healthcare needs of older adults and disseminating geriatric programs through partnerships with community based organizations that improve the quality of life of older adults. The key topics incorporated into all COACH activities are: cognitive assessment and management of patients with cognitive impairment; mobility; appropriate medication management; assessment of patient’s care preferences; and Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
Dr. Walke’s overall goal is to develop a comprehensive, coordinated patient-centered Geriatrics Service Line that addresses the needs of older adults and their caregivers through the implementation of innovative models of care.
- MD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1997
- BA, Harvard University, 1992
- Walke LM, Rosenthal RA, Trentalange M, Perkal MF, Maiaroto M, Jeffery SM, Marottoli RA. Restructuring care for Older Surgical Patients: Preliminary data from the Co-management of Older Operative Patients En Route Across Treatment Environments (CO-OPERATE) model of care. J Am Geriatr Soc 2014
- Tackett JJ, Walke LM, Accordino L, Melin E, Bishop T, Kumar C, Rosenthal RA. CHAMPIONS: Comprehensive Home Based Acute Care Medical Program Initiative for Older Noncritical Surgical Patients. J Am Coll Surg 2014
- Makris UE, Melhado TV, Lee SC, Hamann HA, Walke LM, Gill TM, Fraenkel L. Illness Representations of Restricting Back Pain: The Older Person’s Perspective. Pain Medicine 2014;15 938-56. PMID:25075398 PMCID:4116640
- Han MA, Tinetti ME, Agostini JV, Han L, Lee H, Walke LM. The Impact of Medication Use on Symptom Burden in Older Patients with Multiple Medical Morbidities. Journal of Clinical Gerontology and Geriatrics 2013;4(3):84-88.
- Kumar C, Walke LM, Green M. Geriatric Competency Evaluation Instrument. POGOe - Portal of Geriatric Online Education 2013; Available from http://www.pogoe.org\productid\21260
- Walke LM, Tinetti ME. ACE, MACE, and GRACE: Time to put the pieces together. JAMA Internal Medicine 2013;173 (11): 987-989. PMID: 23608885
- Erekson EA, Ratner ES, Walke LM, Fried TR. Gynecologic surgery in the geriatric patient. Obstet Gynecol 2012;119(6):1262-1269.
- Olmedo B, Berg KM, Mejnartowicz S, Walke LM. Confronting Issues of Cognitive Assessment for a Bilingual Older Adult. Clinical Geriatrics 2012;20:38-40.
- Walke LM. Goal Setting with Elderly Patients and Families. In Geriatric Care and End of Life Surgery, Surgical Council on Resident Education (SCORE) curriculum, American Board of Surgeons, 2010.
- Walke LM, Rosenthal RA. Preoperative Evaluation of the Older Surgical Patient. In Principles and Practice of Geriatric Surgery, 2nd Edition, ed. R.A. Rosenthal, M.E. Zenilman, M.R. Katlic, Springer, New York, NY, 2011, 267-288.
- Walke LM, Maiaroto M. Geriatrics Consultation Services. In Case Based Geriatrics: A Global Approach, ed. V.A. Hirth, D. Wieland, M. Dever-Bumba, MacGraw Hill Co., New York, NY, 2011, pp 271-281.
- LiL, Rozolsky DK, Walke LM, Jeffery SM. Progressive Tremor, Truncal Atazia, and Acute Mental Status Changes After Use of Bupropoin. Consult Pharm 2011;26(9):665-671
- Voisin JM, Walke LM, Jeffery SM. Home is where the heart is: Living arrangements for older adults. Consultant Pharmacist 2009;24(2):134-145.
- Walke LM, Byers AL, Gallo WT, Endrass J, Fried TR. The Association of Symptoms with Health Outcomes in Chronically Ill Adults. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2007;33:58-66.
- Walke LM, Byers AL, McCorkle R, Fried TR. Symptom Assessment in Community-Dwelling Older Adults with Advanced Chronic Disease. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2006;31:31-37.
- Walke LM, Gallo WT, Tinetti ME, Fried TR. The Burden of Symptoms among Community-Dwelling Older Persons with Advanced Chronic Disease. Archives of Internal Medicine 2004;164:2321-2324.
- Walke LM, Byers AL, Tinetti ME, Dubin JA, McCorkle R, Fried TR. Range and severity of symptoms over time among older adults with COPD and HF. Arch Intern Med 2007;167(22):2503-2508.
- Yale-INTEC Practice-based learning exchange
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (2013-Present)
Clinical & educational exchange program for pre-clinical medical students & Faculty with INTEC medical school held during Spring Break
INTEC School of Medicine, INTEC School of Medicine
- Alternative Spring Break
La Romana, Dominican Republic (2010-2010)
Faculty advisor for student led mission trip to the Dominican Republic
Good Samaritan Hospital, Good Samaritan Hospital
- Internal and Geriatric Medicine
Valle de Angeles, Honduras (2010-2012)
Hospital Adventista Valle de Angeles, Hospital Adventista Valle de Angeles
- Internal and Geriatric Medicine
Ife, Nigeria (2007-2008)
Ile-Ife Adventist Hospital, Ile-Ife Adventist Hospital
- Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program
- Practice Change Leaders for Aging and Health
- "Best Doctors” Honoree
- American Geriatrics Society Fellow
- AAMC Mid-Career Women Professional Development Scholar
- Harvard Macy Institute Scholar
- Health Outcomes Research Scholar
- New Investigator Award
- Clinical Practices and Models of Care CommitteeAmerican Geriatric Society
- Quality and Performance Measurement CommitteeAmerican Geriatrics Society
- Group on Diversity and InclusionAssociation of American Medical Colleges
- Objective Review CommitteeHRSA Division of Independent Review(2007 - 2010)
- CommitteeMinority Organization for Retention and Expansion
- CommitteeWomen Faculty Forum
- Chief Resident Immersion Training Selection CommitteeAssociation of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs(2011 - 2013)
- Chief Resident Immersion Training Action Project Awards Selection CommitteeAssociation of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs