Kenneth David Jackson, PhD
- Professor of Spanish and Portuguese
- Director of Undergraduate Studies, Portuguese
Author of: Machado de Assis: A Literary Life (2015), Adverse Genres in Fernando Pessoa (2010), De Chaul a Batticaloa: As marcas do império marítimo português na Índia e no Sri Lanka (2005), Camões and the First Edition of The Lusiadas (CD-ROM, 2003); Portugal: As Primeiras Vanguardas (2003); Os Construtores dos Oceanos/Builders of the Oceans (1998); three CDs in the series The Journey of Sounds produced by EXPO '98/CNCDP (Lisbon, 1998); A Vanguarda Literária no Brasil (1998); A Hidden Presence: 500 Years of Portuguese Culture in India and Sri Lanka (1995); Sing Without Shame (1990); A Prosa Vanguardista na Literatura Brasileira: Oswald de Andrade (1978);
Editor of Joaquim Nabuco na República (co-edit, 2012), the Oxford Anthology of the Brazilian Short Story (2006), Haroldo de Campos: A Dialogue with the Brazilian Concrete Poet (2005); Experimental, Visual, Concrete: Avant-Garde Poetry Since 1960 (co-ed., 1996); Oswald deAndrade: 100 Years of Invention (ed., 1992); Transformations of Literary Language in Latin American Literature (ed.,1987).
Co-translator of Oswald de Andrade's Seraphim Grosse Pointe (1979) and Patricia Galvão's Industrial Park (1993). Organizer of the symposia "Goa: A Postcolonial Society Between Cultures" (2013), "POEM/ART:Brazilian Concrete Poetry" (2008); Portugal World Music (2007); GrandExpositions: Iberian and Latin American Modernisms in the Museum (2002); Contemporary Brazil Novel (2001); Staging Portuguese and Brazilian Theater (2000); Transcreation: on Haroldo de Campos (1999); Experimental, Visual,Concrete: Avant-Garde Poetry Since 1960 (1995); Oswald de Andrade: 100 Years of Invention (1990); Transformations of Literary Language in Latin American Literature (1987).
Named to the International Advisory Board of the Centro Interuniversitário de Estudos Camonianos at the Universidade de Coimbra (Portugal); Associação Portuguesa de História; Academia da Marinha (Portugal)
Literature and culture of Brazil, Portugal, and the Portuguese world. Major authors and movements; historiography of cultural contacts
- PhD, University of Wisconsin, 1973
- MA, University of Wisconsin, 1967
- BA, University of Illinois, 1966
- Adverse Genres in Fernando Pessoa (2010)
- Portugal: As Primeiras Vanguardas (2003)
- De Chaul a Batticaloa: As marcas do império marítimo português na Índia e no Sri Lanka. Ericeira, Portugal: Mar de Letras, 2005. 233 pp.
- Camões and the First Edition of The Lusiadas (CD-ROM, 2003)
- “Brazilian World Concrete.” Review: Latin American Literature and Arts 64 (Spring 2002): 35-36.
- “Literatura, cultura & civilizacao: estudos do Brasil nos Estados Unidos: levantamento historico e avaliacao.” In O Brasil dos Brasilianistas: Um guia dos estudos sobre o Brasil nos Estados Unidos. Sao Paulo: Paz & Terra, 2002: 125-64.
- "The Cannibal Clubs of Brazil and Portugal." Confluencia: Revista Hispánica de Cultura y Literatura 17:2 (Spring 2002): 65-75.
- A Vanguarda Literária no Brasil (1998)
- three CDs in the series The Journey of Sounds produced by EXPO '98/CNCDP (Lisbon, 1998)
- Os Construtores dos Oceanos/Builders of the Oceans (1998)
- A Hidden Presence: 500 Years of Portuguese Culture in India and Sri Lanka (1995)
- Sing Without Shame (1990)
- Waiting for the Ancient Mariner: A Theater of Immanence"
United States (2014-2014)
- “A Voz das Revistas: Machado de Assis nos Periódicos, 1859-1900.”
- Speaker, International Symposium "Chinese-Lusophone Relations: China and Brazil"
The Symposium was sponsored by The Macau Foundation and Macau University of Science and Technology, and supported by Social Sciences Academic Press (China), Carnegie Council on Ethics and International Affairs (USA) and Merce University (USA).
Macau University of Science and Technology (MUST), Macau University of Science and Technology (MUST)
- GOA (India): a post-colonial society between cultures
Essays on literature, music, and Goan diaspora, focusing on the multicultural nature of Goan society.
Brazil, Portugal (2008-Present)
Professor Jackson works with "Ethnomusicology of the Portuguese Discoveries" in conjunction with the Gulbenkian Foundation, the Universidade Nova de Lisboa and "Tradisom" recordings.
Gulbenkian Foundation, New University of Lisbon, Gulbenkian Foundation, New University of Lisbon
- Nabuco: Lectures at Yale and Other Universities by the First Brazilian Ambassador to the US in 1908-09
Professor Jackson is working with Professor Joao Cezar de Castro Rocha of the Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro to recover the original English texts of six lectures delivered by Nabuco in 1908-09 at Yale (two lectures), Vassar, Cornell, University of Chicago, and University of Wisconsin-Madison. A conference is planned at Yale in 2008 to commemorate the centennial of those talks.
Univ do Estado do Rio de Janeiro , Univ do Estado do Rio de Janeiro
- Journalism of Patricia Galvao (Pagu)
The "Pagu Center" at Unisanta, organized by the Rector Professor. Dra. Lucia Furlani, will be the co-publisher of four volumes of journalism by Patricia Galvao, prepared, edited and introduced by Professor Jackson. Unisanta is also interested in some student-to-student contact with Portuguese language students by computer link.
Univ of Santa Cecilia, Univ of Santa Cecilia
- Yale Week in Brazil
Yale Week in Brazil is a week of activities and events in São Paulo. Among other events, the week features public lectures by Yale faculty members and a concert by the Yale Concert Band. The Yale Week 2007 was co-hosted by the Yale Club of Brazil and the Brazilian Business School.
Brazilian Business School, Brazilian Business School
- Brazil Between Cultures
Professor Jackson is engaged with the "Brazil Between Cultures" project with Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro and Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro. The first of these conferences was conducted at Yale in March 2004 under the title "Between Cultures: Brazil/Europe." It will be followed by conferences on "Brazil/Africa" and "Brazil/Americas." The project has been completed.
Univ do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Univ do Estado do Rio de Janeiro
- Brazilian Modernism and Literature
Brazil, Brazil (2007-Present)
Professor Jackson researches Brazilian modernism and 20th-century Brazilian literature and culture. He has twice been a Fulbright professor in Brazil. The project has been completed.
Inst de Estudos Brasileiros, Inst de Estudos Brasileiros, Univ of São Paulo, Univ of São Paulo
- Portuguese Literary Vanguard of 1915
Professor Jackson's research was published in a reference book (Vervuert, Frankfort) in Portuguese on the literary generation led by Poet Fernando Pessoa and the first vanguardist groups of modernism in Portugal. The book was published in 2003.
Sociedade Portuguesa de Autores, Sociedade Portuguesa de Autores
Machado de Assis: A Literary Life, to be published by Yale UP. Fernando Pessoa (essays); collected journalism of Patrícia Galvão; cultural contacts in the Luso-Brazilian world; international context of Brazilian modernism; China-Brazil BRICS conferences