Jun Deng, PhD
- Professor of Therapeutic Radiology
Dr. Jun Deng is a Professor at the Department of Therapeutic Radiology of Yale University School of Medicine and an ABR board certified medical physicist at Yale-New Haven Hospital. Dr. Deng obtained his Ph.D. from University of Virginia in 1998 and finished his postdoctoral fellowship at Department of Radiation Oncology of Stanford University in 2001. Dr. Deng has been serving on the Editorial Board of numerous peer-reviewed journals, on the study section of NIH, DOD, ASTRO and RSNA since 2005, and as scientific reviewer for European Science Foundation and Dutch Cancer Society since 2015. Dr. Deng has received numerous honors and awards such as Fellow of Institute of Physics in 2004, AAPM Medical Physics Travel Grant in 2008, ASTRO IGRT Symposium Travel Grant in 2009, AAPM-IPEM Medical Physics Travel Grant in 2011, and Fellow of AAPM in 2013. At Yale, Dr. Deng’s research has been focused on big data, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and medical imaging for early cancer risk prediction, detection and prevention.
Dr. Deng’s research has been focused on big data, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and medical imaging for early cancer risk prediction, detection and prevention. In 2013 his group developed CT Gently, the world’s first iPhone App that can be used to estimate organ doses and associated cancer risks from CT and CBCT scans. Recently, Dr. Deng has been funded by a NIH R01 grant to develop a personal organ dose archive (PODA), a big data approach to developing an early warning system by actively tracking all organ dose data for individual patients in order to improve patient safety in radiation therapy.
Specialized Terms: Big Data; Machine Learning; Artificial Intelligence; Medical Imaging; Personalized Imaging Protocols; Cancer Risk; Organ Doses; Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT);
- PhD, University of Virginia, 1998
- BS, Sichuan University, 1991
- X. Ming, Y. Feng, C. Yang, W. Wang, P. Wang, and J. Deng, Radiation-induced heart disease in lung cancer radiotherapy: a dosimetric update. Medicine, 2016 (in press).
- J. Deng, Personalized and conscientious medical imaging To image or not to image. JAMA Oncol. Published online July 28, 2016. doi:10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.2220.
- Y. Zhang, Y. Feng, X. Ming, and J. Deng, Energy Modulated Photon Radiotherapy: A Monte Carlo Feasibility Study. BioMed Research International; Volume 2016, Article ID 7319843, 16 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/7319843.
- Y. Zhang, Y. Feng, M. Ahmad, X. Ming, L. Zhou, and J. Deng, Intermediate Megavoltage Photon Beams for Improved Lung Cancer Treatments. PLOS ONE, 2015; 10(12):e0145117. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0145117. PubMed PMID: 26672752.
- Y. Zhang, Y. Feng, and J. Deng, Applications of low energy megavoltage X-ray beams in cancer radiotherapy, British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research, 6(7): 661-674, 2015.
- X. Ming, Y. Feng, H. Liu, Y. Zhang, L. Zhou, and J. Deng, Cardiac Exposure in the Dynamic Conformal Arc Therapy, Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy and Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy of Lung Cancer. PLOS ONE, 2015; 10(12):e0144211. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0144211. eCollection 2015. PubMed PMID: 26630566; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4667972.
- Y. Zhang, H. Wu, Z. Chen, J. Knisely, R. Nath, Z. Feng, S. Bao, and J. Deng, Concomitant Imaging Dose and Cancer Risk in Image-guided Thoracic Radiotherapy. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, 93(3): 523-531, 2015.
- J. Deng, Y. Zhang, R. Nath, S. Bao. CT scans in childhood and risk of leukaemia and brain tumours. Lancet. 2012 Nov 17; 380(9855):1735; author reply 1736-7. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61980-1. PubMed PMID: 23158242.
- Zhang Y, Yan Y, Nath R, Bao S, Deng J. Personalized Assessment of kV Cone Beam Computed Tomography Doses in Image-guided Radiotherapy of Pediatric Cancer Patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Aug 1;83(5):1649-54. Epub 2012 Jan 26. PubMed PMID: 22285667.
- Zhang Y, Yan Y, Nath R, Bao S, Deng J. Personalized estimation of dose to red bone marrow and the associated leukaemia risk attributable to pelvic kilo-voltage cone beam computed tomography scans in image-guided radiotherapy. Phys Med Biol. 2012 Jul 21;57(14):4599-612. Epub 2012 Jul 2. PubMed PMID: 22750636.
- Deng J, Chen Z, Yu JB, Roberts KB, Peschel RE, Nath R. Testicular Doses in Image-Guided Radiotherapy of Prostate Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Apr 12. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21489702.
- Deng J, Chen Z, Roberts KB, Nath R. Kilovoltage Imaging Doses in the Radiotherapy of Pediatric Cancer Patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Apr 6. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21477943.
- M. Ahmad, J. Deng, M. Lund, Z. Chen, J. Kimmett, M. Moran, and R. Nath, Clinical implementation of enhanced dynamic wedges into the Pinnacle treatment planning system: Monte Carlo validation and patient-specific QA, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 54, 447-465, 2009.
- C. Ma, J. Li, J. Deng, and J. Fan, Implementation of Monte Carlo Dose Calculation for CyberKnife treatment planning, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 102, 012016, 2008.
- Z. Chen, J. Deng, K. Roberts, and R. Nath, On the need to compensate edema-induced dose reductions in pre-planned 131Cs prostate brachytherapy, International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, 70(1), 303-10, 2008.
- H. Song, M. Ahmad, J. Deng, Z. Chen, N. Yue, and R. Nath, Limitations of silicon diodes for clinical electron dosimetry, Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 120, 56-9, 2006.
- M. Ahmad, Z. Chen, H. Song, J. Deng, and R. Nath, Evaluation of the EDR-2 film for relative dosimetry of high-energy photon and electron beams, Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 120, 159-62, 2006.
- Z. Chen, J. Deng, K. Roberts, and R. Nath, Potential impact of prostate edema on the dosimetry of permanent seed implants using the new 131Cs (model CS-1) seeds, Medical Physics, 33(4), 968-975, 2006.
- J. Deng, T. Guerrero, C.-M. Ma, and R. Nath, Modeling 6MV photon beams of a stereotactic radiosurgery system for Monte Carlo treatment planning, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 49(9), 1689-1704, 2004.
- J. Deng, C.-M. Ma, J. Hai, and R. Nath, Commissioning 6MV photon beams of a stereotactic radiosurgery system for Monte Carlo treatment planning, Medical Physics, 30(12), 3124-3134, 2003.
- C.-M. Ma, M. Ding, J. S. Li, M. Lee, T. Pawlicki, and J. Deng, A comparative dosimetric study on tangential photon beams, intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and modulated electron radiotherapy (MERT) for breast cancer treatment, Physics in Medicine Biology, 48(7), 909-924, 2003.
- C.-M. Ma, S. B. Jiang, T. Pawlicki, Y. Chen, J. S. Li, J. Deng, and A. L. Boyer, A quality assurance phantom for IMRT dose verification, Physics in Medicine Biology, 48(5), 561-572, 2003.
- M. Ding, J. S. Li, J. Deng, E. Fourkal, and C.-M. Ma, Dose correlation for thoracic motion in radiation therapy of breast cancer, Medical Physics, 30(9), 2520-2529, 2003.
- C.-M. Ma, J. S. Li, T. Pawlicki, S. B. Jiang, and J. Deng, A Monte Carlo dose calculation tool for radiotherapy treatment planning, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 47(10), 1671-1689, 2002.
- J. Deng, M. C. Lee, and C.-M. Ma, A Monte Carlo investigation of fluence profiles collimated by an electron specific MLC during beam delivery for modulated electron radiation therapy, Medical Physics, 29(11), 2472-2483, 2002.
- J. Deng, T. Pawlicki, Y. Chen, J. Li, S. B. Jiang, and C.-M. Ma, The MLC tongue-and-groove effect on IMRT dose distributions, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 46(4), 1039-60, 2001.
- J. Deng, S. B. Jiang, T. Pawlicki, J. Li, and C.-M. Ma, Derivation of electron and photon energy spectra from electron central axis depth dose curves, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 46(5), 1429-49, 2001.
- M. C. Lee, J. Deng, J. Li, S. B. Jiang, and C.-M. Ma, Monte Carlo-based treatment planning for modulated electron beam radiation therapy, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 46(8), 2177-2199, 2001.
- C.-M. Ma, T. Pawlicki, M. Lee, S. B. Jiang, J. S. Li, J. Deng, B. Yi, E. Mok, and A. L. Boyer, Energy- and intensity-modulated electron beams for radiotherapy, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 45(8), 2293-2311, 2000.
- J. Li, T. Pawlicki, J. Deng, S. B. Jiang, E. Mok, and C.-M. Ma, Validation of a Monte Carlo dose calculation tool for radiotherapy treatment planning, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 45(10), 2969-2985, 2000.
- C.-M. Ma, T. Pawlicki, S. B. Jiang, J. S. Li, J. Deng, E. Mok, A. Kapur, L. Xing, L. Ma, and A. L. Boyer, Monte Carlo verification of IMRT dose distributions from a commercial treatment planning optimization system, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 45(9), 2483-2495, 2000.
- J. Deng, S. B. Jiang, A. Kapur, J. Li, T. Pawlicki, and C.-M. Ma, Photon beam characterization and modeling for Monte Carlo treatment planning, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 45(2), 411-427, 2000.
- Supervision of visiting scholar
Chengdu, China (2013-2015)
Supervise a PhD medical physicist from West China Cancer Center of Sichuan University in a research collaboration on imaging doses and patterns in IGRT
West China Cancer Center, West China Cancer Center
- Joint Supervision of PhD Students in Medical Physics
Tianjin, China (2012-2014)
Tianjin University, Tianjin University
- Visiting Scholar and Invited Lectures at Five Medical Institutions in UK
United Kingdom (2012-2012)
- Joint Supervision of PhD Student in Medical Physics
Beijing, China (2010-2011)
Peking University, Peking University
- Visiting Scholar and Invited Lectures at Six Medical Institutions in China
Dr. Deng's research has been focused on big data, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and medical imaging for early cancer risk prediction, detection and prevention. Some active projects are listed below:
- Tracking organ doses for patient safety in radiation therapy;
- Machine learning with radiation oncology big data;
- Natural language processing for data mining and clinical decision support;
- Individualized cancer risk management;
- Adjunct professorship
- Outstanding Graduate Award
- GuangHua Scholarship
- Visiting Professorship
- AAPM-IPEM Medical Physics Travel Grant
- IGRT Symposium Travel Grant
- Medical Physics Travel Grant
- Basic Science Travel Award
- Graduate Student Travel Award
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Medical Physics
- Physics in Medicine and Biology
- World Cancer Congress(2010 - 2010)
- World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering(2012 - 2012)
- IEEE International Conference on Virtual Environments, Human-Computer Interfaces and Measurement Systems(2012 - 2012)
- Open Journal of Clinical Diagnostics(2012 - 2013)
- International Journal of Medical Physics(2013 - 2015)
- American Journal of Cancer Therapy and Pharmacology(2013 - 2018)
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
- American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
- Yale Cancer Center
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
- Connecticut Area Medical Physics Society (CAMPS), AAPM
- Prostate Cancer Research Program Study SectionCDMRP/DOD(2005 - 2011)
- Research Grants Evaluation Study SectionASTRO
- Research & Education Foundation Study SectionRSNA
- Portuguese Foundation for Science and TechnologyEuropean Science Foundation
- KWF Kankerbestrijding, NetherlandsDutch Cancer Society
- NIH/NCI Study SectionNIH
- Task Group 131 Medical Physics Training in Developing Countries in the regionAAPM(2006 - 2010)
- Task Group No. 157 Commissioning of beam models in Monte Carlo-based clinical treatment planningAAPM
- Imaging Physics Curricula SubcommitteeAAPM(2007 - 2014)
- Joint Working Group for Research Seed Funding InitiativeAAPM(2007 - 2013)
- Medical Physics Residency Training and Promotion SubcommitteeAAPM(2008 - 2010)
- Asian Oceanic Affairs SubcommitteeAAPM(2008 - 2010)
- Task Group No. 180 Modeling and Accounting for the Imaging Guidance Radiation Doses to Radiotherapy Patients in Treatment PlanningAAPM
- Research Evaluation CommitteeASTRO(2012 - 2015)
- Annual Meeting Scientific CommitteeASTRO
- Oncologic Imaging and Therapies Task ForceRSNA
- Scientific Program CommitteeRSNA
- Annual Meeting Education CommitteeASTRO
- COG Radiation Oncology, Pediatric IGRT Working GroupChildren’s Oncology Group (COG)
- DICOM Committee, Working Group-07 (Radiotherapy)NEMA